Hear easy methods to hold an outdated paint colour from displaying via, what to do about peeling paint on a bath and extra.
Protecting Outdated Paint Shade
A home-owner is attempting to vary the paint colour in a room, however the outdated colour retains coming again.
“I’ve now put three coats of primer on the partitions, and the outdated colour continues to be shining via. Is there something I can do to cowl up that paint efficiently?”
There are just a few steps you’ll be able to take to attempt to enhance the protection of the primer:
Sand the partitions: Sanding the partitions will create a tough floor for the primer to stick to, which can enhance its protection. Make sure to wipe down the partitions with a moist material to take away any mud after sanding.
Use a high-quality, high-adhesion primer: Some primers are particularly formulated to stick to troublesome surfaces, equivalent to shiny paint or oil-based paint. Utilizing a high-quality, high-adhesion primer could enhance the protection of the outdated paint.
Use bonding primer: Bonding primer, also called adhesion primer or glue primer, is a kind of primer that’s particularly formulated to stick to troublesome surfaces. It’s designed to bond to surfaces which can be in any other case exhausting for paint to stay to, equivalent to shiny paint, steel, or plastic. Make sure to enable every coat to dry totally earlier than making use of the subsequent.
Tint the primer: One of these primer has been blended with a small quantity of paint pigment to offer it a slight colour. Tinted primer can be utilized to assist cowl up darkish colours or imperfections on a floor, or to enhance the general look of the completed paint job.
If the paint continues to be displaying via, chances are you’ll want to color the partitions a darkish colour to hide the outdated paint.
Peeling Paint on a Tub
The paint is peeling like loopy in a brand new house owner’s bathtub.
She says, “It has been like this since they moved in, and we’re questioning if it’s okay to take all of it off.”
It’s typically not a good suggestion to take away the entire paint from a bath. If the paint is peeling, it’s probably that the underlying layer shouldn’t be effectively adhered to the bathtub floor, which may trigger additional peeling and harm.
One possibility is to take away free and flaking paint utilizing a scraper or wire brush. Then, sand the floor to create a tough, porous floor for the brand new paint to stick to. The bathtub ought to then be totally cleaned and dried earlier than making use of a brand new coat of paint.
If the paint is in poor situation and can’t be salvaged, take away the entire paint and begin contemporary. Nevertheless, this generally is a time-consuming and labor-intensive course of. It’s additionally necessary to remember that the underlying floor is probably not in good situation.
Earlier than starting any work on the bathtub, it is very important defend your self and the encompassing space. Put on protecting gear and canopy any close by surfaces with drop cloths.
Learn Portray a Bathtub? Right here’s What You Have to Know for extra data.
In case you are not comfy refinishing the bathtub by yourself, chances are you’ll wish to take into account hiring knowledgeable to refinish the bathtub for you.
Hearken to study the professionals and cons of tankless water heaters, easy methods to restore rotten soffit, easy methods to hold snow from entering into ridge vents and extra.
Professionals and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters
A home-owner is considering changing his normal water heater with an electrical tankless water heater and desires to know the professionals and cons.
Professionals of tankless water heaters:
- They’ll present an infinite provide of scorching water: As a result of tankless water heaters warmth water on demand, you’ll by no means run out of scorching water.
- They’re extra power environment friendly: Tankless water heaters solely warmth water once you want it, in order that they’re extra power environment friendly than conventional tank water heaters. This can lead to power financial savings of as much as 40 %.
- They’ve an extended lifespan: Tankless water heaters have an extended lifespan than conventional tank water heaters as a result of they don’t have a tank that may rust or corrode.
- They’re extra compact: Tankless water heaters are far more compact than conventional tank water heaters, making them a good selection for small properties or flats.
Cons of tankless water heaters:
- They’ve the next upfront value: Tankless water heaters have the next upfront value than conventional tank water heaters. Nevertheless, the power financial savings over time can offset this preliminary funding.
- They require extra upkeep: Tankless water heaters require extra frequent upkeep than conventional tank water heaters. This contains cleansing the burners and changing the filter.
- They is probably not appropriate for big households: Tankless water heaters could not be capable of present sufficient scorching water for big households with a number of showers and home equipment working concurrently.
- They is probably not appropriate for properties with low water stress: Tankless water heaters require a sure minimal water stream price to function successfully. If your house has low water stress, a tankless water heater is probably not a good selection.
Changing Rotten Soffits
A home-owner’s soffits are bowing downward and rotting. He asks: “I’m unsure what to exchange them with. What do you counsel?”
It feels like you could have a difficulty with the structural integrity of your soffits. Bowing and rotting soffits generally is a signal of water harm or poor air flow. If the harm is intensive, it might be essential to exchange the soffits completely.
There are a number of choices for changing soffits:
- Wooden: Wooden is a conventional materials for soffits, however it requires common portray or staining to keep up its look. It might probably additionally rot or develop into infested with pests if not correctly maintained.
- Vinyl: Vinyl soffits are low upkeep and resist rotting, however they might develop into brittle over time and may be susceptible to cracking in excessive temperatures.
- Aluminum: Aluminum soffits are sturdy and resist rust, however they are often susceptible to dents and will require periodic portray.
- Fiber cement: Fiber cement soffits are a costlier possibility, however they’re extraordinarily sturdy and resist rotting, warping, and bug infestations.
Stopping Snow from Coming into Ridge Vents
Snow retains entering into a home-owner’s attic area via the ridge vents each time there’s a blizzard with robust winds.
He says, “There’s sufficient snow that I’ve to make use of a shovel to take away it. Snow gathers on the beam beneath the ridge vent the place gentle bulbs are affixed. How do I alleviate this drawback?”
There are just a few steps you’ll be able to take to forestall snow from getting into your attic via the ridge vents:
- Set up snow guards: Snow guards are units which can be put in on the roof to forestall snow and ice from sliding off and accumulating on the eaves.
- Set up warmth cables: Warmth cables, also called roof de-icing cables, may be put in alongside the eaves and the ridge to forestall snow and ice from accumulating. The cables use electrical energy to generate warmth, which melts the snow and ice on contact.
- Set up a snow fence: A snow fence is a bodily barrier that’s put in on the roof to dam the wind and stop snow from blowing into the attic via the ridge vents.
- Insulate the attic: Correct insulation within the attic might help forestall snow from melting and refreezing on the eaves, which may trigger ice dams.
It could even be useful to have knowledgeable examine your roof to make sure that it’s correctly sealed and in good situation. If the snow is getting into via gaps or openings within the roof, these points will should be addressed with a view to forestall future snow accumulation within the attic.
Greatest New Merchandise
|Whether or not you have to retailer frozen meals, produce, or drinks, the Vissani convertible freezer/fridge can deal with all of it. Study extra >>|
Mistaken Dimension Wrench? No Downside! — What do you do when an open-end wrench is a bit too giant for the nut or bolt you’re attempting to loosen or tighten? This occurs when engaged on a metric fastener and also you’ve solely received a standard-size wrench or visa versa.
Nicely, you could have heard of the trick of utilizing steel washer or coin to fill the hole within the wrench. And whereas that does work — generally — right here’s a greater resolution:
Place the too-large wrench onto the nut or bolt after which jam a slotted screwdriver into the hole between the fastener and wrench.
The wedge-shaped tip of the screwdriver tightens up the match and actually locks the wrench in place.
Watch: Do It! Hack Your Wrenches to Bust Nuts Free
Steam Clear Your Microwave Oven — Right here’s a straightforward, easy technique to clear the within of your microwave oven:
- Pour a 50/50 resolution of water and white vinegar right into a glass bowl.
- Set the bowl within the oven and microwave on excessive for a number of minutes.
- Fastidiously take away the bowl, then scrub the within of the oven with a scouring sponge. The steam created by the water and vinegar will loosen even probably the most cussed, caked-on stains.
Watch: How you can Steam-Clear Your Microwave in Minutes
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
You probably have a remark, common query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Right now’s Home-owner, please fill on this kind: